When François left the Moon Lagoon he left behind all of his belongings for he wanted to travel light. In his little boat he set out to lead an ascetic life far behind the glimmering horizon. Rumour has it that he found an uninhabited island where he turned into some kind of Robinson Crusoe. We’re thankful François put his record collection into storage in these here headquarters. This méli-mélo of chansons francophones exhibits some of the treasures he left behind.
1. Brigitte Fontaine & Areski Belkacem – Le Brin D’Herbe / La Harpe Jaune Vous Et Nous, Saravah 1977
2. Jeanne-Marie Sens – Meli Melo Advertisement, Atlantic 1973
3. Yves Simon – Au Pays Des Merveilles De Juliette Yves Simon, RCA 1973
4. Annkrist – Acier Beton Tendre Est Ma Nuit…, Spalax 1978
5. Honeymoon Killers – Histoire A Suivre Les Tueurs De La Lune De Miel, Crammed Discs 1981
6. Jo Lemaire + Flouze – Je Suis Venue Te Dire Que Je M’En Vais Pigmy World, Vertigo 1981
7. Telex – Victime De La Société Looking For Saint Tropez, Vogue 1979
We’re a little late this time. The full moon’s long gone and already the new moon is on the rise. But here it is finally, Moon Lagoon’s monthly mix, featuring guitar heroes of the progressive kind. These artists are no axe swinging poseurs showcasing endless solos. No Steve Vai, no Ritchie Blackmoore, no Jimmy Page. Instead, this compilation pays tribute to guitarists with a feeling for time and space.
Mira Alfassa, known to her disciples as The Mother, was convinced that music is helping the consciousness to uplift itself towards the spiritual heights she was aspiring together with her guru Sri Aurobindo. The Mother regularly performed organ pieces in the Ashram Sri Aurobindo to greet the new year. She did so for the first time on January 1 in 1955 with the following improvisation:
Though The Mother didn’t release any records during her lifetime, her pioneering work is documentented on several recordings from the 50s and 60s. Her compositions bear titles like Aspirations Of The Body For The Divine and sound like a blueprint of the minimal music avantgarde. The website of the Sri Aurobindo Ashram provides several hours of recording material as free Download. The site also hosts the complete works of the Mother’s disciple Sunil, who continued to give New Year Music performances until 1998.