There are certain rules in entertainment. One of them is that a cover version that stays true to the original is a boring affair. It’s like a fake Rolex: Same same, but different.
A more successful strategy for doing a cover version is to make the song your own. The artists featured on this mix do just that. They give the original a strange twist and process familiar melodies through electronic devices.
Here are some post punk mutations of evergreens reinterpreting the golden age of pop in a most peculiar way.
1. Lizzy Mercier Descloux – Mission Impossible
Press Colors, ZE Records 1979
2. The Holy Sisters Of Gaga Dada – Pretty Woman
Let’s Get Acquainted, BOMP! 1986
3. Karel Fialka – People Are Strange
Still Life, Blueprint 1980
4. Marianne Faithfull – Working Class Hero
Broken English, Island Records 1979
5. Voco Fauxpas & Major Kain – It’s A Man’s Man’s World
Definitiv (Zürich 1976 bis 1986), Definitiv 1986
6. In Aeternam Vale – Money
In Aeternam Vale, Minimal Wave 2009
7. Telex – Rock Around The Clock
Looking For St. Tropez, Vogue 1979
8. Silicon Teens – Let’s Dance
Music For Parties, Mute 1980
9. Comateens – The Munster’s Theme
Comateens, Jupiter Records 1981